The purpose of a daily standup is to catch everyone up on the project without participating in a time-consuming meeting. The structure of these standup meetings can vary, but team members often discuss the tasks they completed the previous days, the tasks they plan to complete today, and any issues or challenges to address.
With daily standup software, your team can hold these meetings asynchronously in a virtual environment or adopt a hybrid approach where notes from the in-person status meetings are available as a reference.
One of the main drawbacks of daily scrums is that there is no time to record meeting notes. Adopting a standup tool provides you with a written track record of what team members discuss in these meetings.
Standup software is also a must-have tool for development teams that work remotely, or for teams that need an alternative to meeting in-person at a specific time, a practice that can disrupt important tasks. Virtual standups can also make more sense for complex projects that require larger teams.
Here are some of the best daily standup software to streamline your daily scrums.
The following standup tools will help you keep your ideas organized and communicate more effectively if you’re managing a remote team.
Sharing individual updates and roadblocks for standup meetings can be difficult especially for remote teams. Stay on top of routine work and save time by automating task reminders and other workflows. ClickUp is an all in one project management tool with a variety of tools and functions to improve team productivity and task management.
Schedule tasks to recur at any frequency and set automation to create a task for your team to post updates for standup meetings. Automate any routine by setting recurring tasks and keep everything notes, lists, and other information together with ClickUp Docs. Connect workflows and turn ideas and insights into actionable tasks and projects.
- Automate routines by setting recurring tasks for weekly meetings and standups
- Set recurring tasks to any frequency such as daily, biweekly, or when the status changes
- Templates for daily standup meetings, scrum meetings, meeting notes, and more
- Review all tasks in Calendar view to help map out your week and manage any recurring tasks if needed
- Improve standup meetings with ClickUp Docs and Notepad to organize your notes and transform any entry into a trackable task
- Web, Desktop, Mobile
- Integrate with popular third-party applications to automate actions such as creating new tasks
- Free Forever Plan
- Unlimited: $5 per member/month
- Business: $12 per member/month
- Business Plus: $19 per member/month
- Enterprise: Contact Sales for pricing
Geekbot is an out-of-the-box solution for Slack users. The developer is currently working on a version compatible with Microsoft Teams.
This daily standup tool delivers automation features that will streamline communication and allow for asynchronous meetings. You can use templates to create daily standups, surveys, progress reports, and more.
- Geekbot comes with a powerful AI that analyzes the language in team members’ responses. It gives you useful insights into engagement, productivity, and morale.
- You can use Geekbot if you don’t have any coding skills, but there is an API that allows you to create customized features.
- This daily scrum meeting tool is easy to use. All you have to do is pick a template, customize the questions, and set a time and frequency for posting it in the Slack channels you use.
- Geekbot is a Slack bot.
- It works on any platform where you can run Slack, including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Start-up. Free for up to 10 people.
- Scale-up. $2.5 per user per month.
- Enterprise. Contact Geekbot for a quote.
Jell supports integration with an impressive number of tools, including Slack, Microsoft Teams GitHub, Trello, Jira, and more. It gives you an advantage since you can share status updates in an app your team already uses.
This daily standup tool is performance-oriented. It helps you set goals and track progress, and there are several communication features that make it ideal for large or remote teams.
- OKR (Objective and Key Results) tracking. You can use Jell to keep an eye on your different goals and assess performance.
- Choose how often you want to have standups. You can choose from different question types and have Jell send reminders to participate.
- The check-in feature allows you to request an update or a key metric from specific team members.
- There is a convenient view feature that helps you keep track of how much your team has accomplished over the past week or month besides seeing what team members are working on now.
- Jell supports integration with a number of project management tools.
- You can run Jell on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, or Linux.
- Starter: $4 per user per month.
- Plus: $8 per user per month.
- Enterprise: Contact Jell to get a quote.
Standuply is a project management tool that improves communication and access to knowledge thanks to powerful automation features. It supports integration with Slack and Microsoft Teams.
- You can automate different aspects of your Agile workflow, including team surveys for your daily standups.
- Standuply gives you the possibility to conduct team surveys via text, voice, or video. It’s worth noting because most daily standup tools only support text.
- This tool streamlines access to your internal Q&A to help team members access the right resources at the right time.
- You can use Standuply with Slack or Microsoft Teams.
- You can run this tool on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.
- Starter: Free for up to three users.
- Standup bot: $5 per user per month.
- Scrum master: $10 per user per month.
- Program manager: $17 per user per month.
Range is an excellent daily standup tool if you’re working with multiple apps. It centralizes check-ins and helps you keep track of what everyone is doing, even if they’re working on different tools. You can then share progress reports via email with a single click.
- Create customized standup forms. Add content from Google Docs or webpages.
- Assign flags to prioritize important tasks and problems.
- Use the teamwork features like mood sharing with emojis or ice breakers to help your remote team feel connected.
- You can use Range with Slack or Microsoft Teams.
- Free: For up to three teams.
- Standard: $8 per team per month.
- Premium. Contact Range for a quote.
Hypercontext is a daily standup tool that also helps you monitor productivity. There are features like conversational analytics that help with assessing morale and productivity, and advanced templates to help you get the most from your daily scrums.
- Use Soapbox HQ to assign tasks and track progress.
- Collect real-time feedback from team members.
- Create meeting agendas, notes, and suggested questions for your daily standups.
- Use advanced daily scrum templates to track blocks, recent and current tasks, and progress for sprint goals.
- Supports integration with Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Google products.
- You can also use Soapbox HQ with Outlook, Zapier, iOS, and Android.
- Basic: Free.
- Small team starter plan: $5 a month total.
- Pro: $5.60 a month per user.
- Business: $8.80 a month per user.
Dailybot is a tool that supports daily standups, retrospectives, and check-ins. You can use it to get updates via a daily chat channel or via email.
- Centralized view of what your team members report during the daily standup.
- Use mood surveys, kudos, activities, and rewards to develop a positive team culture.
- Dailybot features chatbot shortcuts and commands to help you save time.
- Dailybot is compatible with Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Google Chat.
- You can also use this tool with Zapier, Jira, Trello, and more.
- Basic: $2.50 a month per user.
- Standard: $4 a month per user.
- Enterprise: Contact Dailybot for a quote.
Email is a viable alternative for conducting virtual daily scrum meetings. You can create your own templates, and depending on the email provider you use, you might be able to set recurring emails for your daily stand-ups.
- No need to roll out a new tool or spend money on a new business app.
- It’s easy to create your own daily scrum template.
- Employees don’t have to monitor an additional channel.
- Compatible with all platforms and devices your email provider supports.
- Depends on your email provider.
Tatsu is a great option if you’re looking for no-frill daily standup software. This tool allows you to set up asynchronous meetings. You can set recurring meetings or start a daily scrum session by clicking on a button.
- Tatsu is a chat assistant that notifies users and asks them specific questions.
- You can easily add questions and customize them.
- You’ll receive an email report at the end of the standup.
Voice Standup is an interesting alternative to text-based daily scrum meetings. You can use this tool to run and record voice-based meetings.
- Voice Standup calls US phone numbers and prompts team members to record their contribution to the daily standup.
- You’ll get a link to the recording of the meeting that you can listen to at any time.
- Using a voice-based alternative can streamline the daily standup process while emphasizing the human aspect of teamwork.
- Voice Standup is a Slack app.
- $20 per month for a team.
MeetNotes provides an interesting mix of features designed to give you more control over assigning tasks and running productive daily stand-ups.
- Use the advanced tagging system to keep track of the tasks you assign.
- Share and edit meeting notes and documents via email or Slack.
- Get visibility over current tasks in progress.
- MeetNotes will send an email to your entire team with a summary of the daily standup besides keeping records of these short meetings.
- MeetNotes is a Slack app.
Polly is a software that allows you to receive instant feedback from your team. Instead of wondering what your team is doing when working remotely, you can ask direct questions to your team, and they can respond all in one place. You can choose from different Polly templates depending on the type of data you want to receive from your team.
- Send out polls and receive instant engagement
- Templates you can use depending on the feedback you want
- Get visual results of your polls as reports you can download
- Use different channels within Slack for organization
- You can use Polly with Slack or Microsoft Teams.
Pricing for Slack:
- Standard: $49 per sender per month (3-month subscription)
- Pro: $19 per sender per month (6 and 12-month subscriptions)
- Enterprise: Contact Polly for a quote.
Pricing for Microsoft Teams:
- Standard: $24 per sender per month
- Enterprise: Contact Polly for a quote.
ScrumGenius can report the status of your team and includes many options to choose from. Through ScrumGenius you can quickly have check-ins with the team and increase team engagement. Through the daily standups you can analyze all the data you receive and make the right decisions when it comes to the team quicker.
- Complete check-ins directly on Slack or Microsoft Teams
- Able to integrate with many other tools like Github, Asana, and Azure Devops
- ScrumGenius insights feature that gives you an overview of your team
- You can use ScrumGenius with Slack, Microsoft Teams, Cisco Webex Teams, and Email
- Basic: $3 per user per month
- Team: $5 per user per month
- Business: $7 per user per month
There are different things to consider when choosing a daily scrum and standup tool. Besides establishing a budget, you should assess which features would enhance your daily standups and support your team’s productivity. It’s important to choose software that integrates well into your current workflows while providing you with the features you need to run productive daily standups.